Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Yesterday I attended the memorial service for Governor Ann Richards at the Erwin Center at the University of Texas. Before the service the weather was dark and overcast but after was sunny and beautiful. It seemed as if Ann had gone to heaven and flooded the skies with her beautiful soul. Listening to the speakers reminded me of just how important this wonderful lady was. I can remember well how she saved us all from that nightmare Clayton Williams who ran against her for governor. He was the one that said that woman should relax and enjoy it when being raped. Clayton Williams to me seemed like so many narrow minded good old boy types that I’ve encountered growing up here. It’s because of good people like her that many can now say with pride that they are also Texans. It wasn’t always like that as I recall. I remember along time ago when people would even laugh at you when you told them you were from Texas. Today it’s Texas this and Texas that till you wonder if you can overdose from the word. If any Texan ever wonders why we live in such a great state, just remember Ann Richards.

No comments: